Thursday, March 11, 2010

Up is one awesome movie

Man oh man it has been a while since I last saw a movie that I really enjoyed...
Then recently I watched UP (one of Pixar's recent releases), and I must say that it did not disappoint.
On the contrary I was left with a warm fuzzy feeling, after approx. 90 minutes of a wonderfully original journey through the imagination of the Pixar and Disney crew.

I cannot put my finger on any one aspect of the film that makes it (in my humble opinion) such a great film, but I was rather expecting something typical of a Disney animation - enjoyable and fun, yet predictable and "done before".
Man was I in for a surprise.

- For starters the visuals and animation (of course) are fantastic, as is the norm nowadays.

- The storyline is highly original, and it tells the tale of one Carl Fredricksen, a bitter and widowed pensioner who gets it into his head to tie thousands of helium balloons to his house and fly from his home city (presumably somewhere in the USA) to Paradise Falls in South America.
That synopsis is totally brief and does the film no justice :) For the full story just go out and get it on DVD, or read up about it here. :)

- The soundtrack is by Michael Giacchino and it really brings the movie to life. Even if you are not a classical music lover, you will find yourself whistling the theme tune days after you have finished watching the movie... :)
It won the Academy Award for Best Original Score, the Grammy Award for Best Score Soundtrack Album, the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score and the 2010 BAFTA Award for Best Film Music.
Quite a set of accomplishments!

- Dug the dog was my favourite part of the whole film - his lines were just hilarious as he over-described everything that he was about to do in his silly voice, as in this example:

Dug: Yes, I do! I so ever do want the ball!
Carl Fredricksen: Go get it!
[throws the ball]
Dug: Oh, boy! Oh, boy! I will go get it and then bring it back!
[runs off]
 
...and that silly huge black nose just adds to his character!
 
Something else that was really cool to watch on the DVD "extras" section, was how Pixar flew the entire creative crew to Venezuela beforehand, in order to let them see and experience the kind of landscape that they would need to be rendering in the film.
 
They really hit the mark on this one - Angel Falls in Venezuela (the highest waterfall on Earth) was used as the inspiration for Paradise Falls in the movie:

Unique landforms of Venezuela called "tepuis" were also called upon to be used as the scenery surrounding Paradise Falls - just check this awesomeness out...:
Sheesh now I think I need to go watch it all over again :)

Do yourself a favour and do the same - want to get yourself a copy?
Just click on one of the links below to purchase online now via Amazon.com, or get yourself a talking Dug the Dog and other cool Up merchandise :)
How totally convenient is that??















3 comments:

  1. great review man.. i thought the first 10 minutes of the movie was absolutely top notch..bought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx for the comment :)
    It is one of my favourite movies ever I must say...

    Glad you enjoyed the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. conseils pour acheter une copie ici. Les Français passent beaucoup de temps à chercher Nike air max Pas Cher sur Internet, il est donc facile d’acheter un bon produit Nike air-maxs-2017 Pas Cher.

    ReplyDelete


Grab your inverter now and be prepared for Load Shedding!

Shop HP Printers here!

Low on ink? Shop Genuine HP Ink and Toner here!

Shop Targus laptop bags, USB hubs, accessories and gadgets here!

Popular Posts