Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Do you suffer from Nomophobia...?

When I found out about a very real fear called Nomophobia recently, I had a bit of a giggle as I thought it was all a joke...

After all, surely Nomophobia is a fear of food...? (Nom nom nom... get it? :)

Ah but wait, there is more to it than that - did you know that Nomophobia is actually a fear of being out of mobile contact?
The word is derived from the term "no-mobile-phone phobia", and it was coined by the UK Post Office during a study to look at anxieties suffered by mobile phone users.

Thinking back to my teenage years when cellphones were not really around yet, I have to wonder how the heck we got by back then?
Sure we had landlines and pagers, but once we set foot outside of home or work, then we were out of touch for hours at a time.
Today that is unheard of - we SMS, BBM, Whatsapp, Email and call constantly through the day.
It's a communications overload if ever there was one...!

Speaking from experience here, it is pretty easy to get caught up in it all.
I know that when my phone battery dies, or if I lose signal, it adds quite a bit of stress to my day.
So I guess in that regard, I am a bit of a Nomophobe... :)

Can you afford to be out of touch with the world and without your cellphone?
Are you a Nomophobe?

Oh, and if you are, then why not head over to the Nybbles and Bytes Store and order yourself a Powertraveller powermonkey, so that you never get stuck with a flat cellphone battery again :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Grab your inverter now and be prepared for Load Shedding!

Shop HP Printers here!

Low on ink? Shop Genuine HP Ink and Toner here!

Shop Targus laptop bags, USB hubs, accessories and gadgets here!

Popular Posts