Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ever wondered how Google manages insane amounts of data? Take a peek at their datacentres...

Humans are pretty excessive creatures by nature.
We like it when stuff occurs in large amounts, for example:

- Money
We all wanna be rich. Disagree? Not buying it. 
If I had a million bucks and gave it to you, would you bin it? 
Didn't think so.
- Food
Might not apply to everyone, but a lot of food 'aint a bad thing :) 
I know I like a big meal!
- Waste
Man oh man we humans are Professors of Waste. 
Go and Google the amount of waste that a single cruise ship generates for example. It's sickening stuff.

- Humans.
How many of us are there on the planet?
More than a handful I would guess...

You get my drift. 
We like excess, and that includes data - we generate crazy amounts of data on a daily basis.

I do not know the figures offhand, but just take a moment to consider the millions of people who are online right this second, doing their thing surfing, downloading, uploading, streaming, emailing, using VOIP, Facebook-ing, tweeting, hacking, backing up, syncing their devices to the cloud, using remote desktop, Teamviewing, IRC'ing (do they still do this? :)), Dropbox'ing... man I could go on all year, and all of next year probably as well!

The point is, huge amounts of data require a serious infrastructure.
Now I am not talking about your corporate office server room with a few rack-mounted switches and a handful of servers.
We are talking Google type stuff here, and I gotta say I look at things a little differently when I stop to think that as I am typing this post, my data is being saved live into a datacenter like one of these Google monsters...

Click each image to enlarge and see the description of each facility:











Little bit crazy, 'aint it?
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Grab your inverter now and be prepared for Load Shedding!

Shop HP Printers here!

Low on ink? Shop Genuine HP Ink and Toner here!

Shop Targus laptop bags, USB hubs, accessories and gadgets here!

Popular Posts