Monday, August 8, 2011

No more free calls to USA / Canada in GMail...?

For the past year or so, I have been one of the many GMail users who would happily don a headset, dial in a US phone number and happily chat away to friends over there, all at no cost to myself.

Initially the "free calls to USA / Canada" feature was due to expire end 2010.
It was then extended to end 2011... which is why I am now rather confused as to why this feature appears to be either non-functional, or just (hopefully) temporarily unavailable.

Previously, if you started dialling a number using Google's number pad within GMail, it would automatically display that wonderful word "Free!", if you were dialling a USA telephone code.
Lately though, it simply displays "$0,01 / min", and refuses to route any calls that I try to make...

I can't seem to get a solid answer anywhere online though, so I guess I will just have to keep trying it out to see if it is just something temporary.
I must say that it was pretty cool to be able to call the USA for free - sure there is Skype etc., but this feature made it possible to call any US-based number i.e. landlines and cellphones included.

Have you had the same problem, or can you shed any light on this?
Please comment if you can...
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Grab your inverter now and be prepared for Load Shedding!

Shop HP Printers here!

Low on ink? Shop Genuine HP Ink and Toner here!

Shop Targus laptop bags, USB hubs, accessories and gadgets here!

Popular Posts