Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Why I choose the Nokia E7 as my next phone...



For a long time now I have been debating what my next phone will be.
We are far too spoilt for choice nowadays anyway, with the likes of the iPhone 4, Nokia N8, Nokia E7, Blackberry Torch, HTC Desire Z etc. etc. and the list goes on and on.

Truth is, since I was introduced to my first N-Series Nokia device, the N80, I have been a pretty loyal supporter of the brand.

Also, as more of a business user, and having researched tons of different devices and specs, I can honestly say that the Nokia E7 is the most likely candidate to replace my trusty Nokia N97 - itself a great little device that despite its flaws, has taken all the drops, knocks and scratches in its stride, all the while keeping me connected with the world.
So before all those Apple jaws start to drop in shock, horror and indeed disbelief at my choice of a Nokia over an iPhone, let me clearly point out why I choose the Nokia E7:

- Full QWERTY Flip out keyboard. This is a biggie. The benefits of it are blindingly obvious, and no onscreen QWERTY can replace it. Don't even try to argue.

- USB on the Go - essentially this allows you to plug an ordinary USB flash drive into your phone, greatly extending your options in terms of where your data gets stored.

- Nokia OVI Maps, offering free turn by turn voice navigation. I have personally made use of this service for a long time on my N97, and I have to say that it is an excellent product, also bundled with the E7.

- Nokia ClearBlack display, which is supposed to be one of the best viewing experiences on any smartphone currently available. Yes, I know that the iPhone 4 has a higher resolution screen, but reviews online show that the E7 proves to be a worthy competitor... Let's wait until mine arrives to see.

- Expanding on the previous item, the E7 features GorillaGlass, which is supposed to be super tough when it comes to resisting scratches from sharp metal objects. Check this out:


- This next one is a double-edged sword. While Nokia has pledged its allegiance to Microsoft and abandoned the Symbian platform on future smartphones, what it has done is committed itself to supporting its existing Symbian smartphones until somewhere around 2016.
That means that the imminent Symbian "Anna" update will soon be available to the E7, along with any other updates that may follow.
So while Nokia have certainly laid out a longer term road map of their future in smartphones, there is still a place for the Nokia E7, at least in my mind.

Let's see what I have to say once I have actually used the device for a few weeks :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Grab your inverter now and be prepared for Load Shedding!

Shop HP Printers here!

Low on ink? Shop Genuine HP Ink and Toner here!

Shop Targus laptop bags, USB hubs, accessories and gadgets here!

Popular Posts