Monday, August 8, 2011

No more free calls to USA / Canada in GMail...?

For the past year or so, I have been one of the many GMail users who would happily don a headset, dial in a US phone number and happily chat away to friends over there, all at no cost to myself.

Initially the "free calls to USA / Canada" feature was due to expire end 2010.
It was then extended to end 2011... which is why I am now rather confused as to why this feature appears to be either non-functional, or just (hopefully) temporarily unavailable.

Previously, if you started dialling a number using Google's number pad within GMail, it would automatically display that wonderful word "Free!", if you were dialling a USA telephone code.
Lately though, it simply displays "$0,01 / min", and refuses to route any calls that I try to make...

I can't seem to get a solid answer anywhere online though, so I guess I will just have to keep trying it out to see if it is just something temporary.
I must say that it was pretty cool to be able to call the USA for free - sure there is Skype etc., but this feature made it possible to call any US-based number i.e. landlines and cellphones included.

Have you had the same problem, or can you shed any light on this?
Please comment if you can...
Enhanced by Zemanta
Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-10656659-1